Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Build-a-Bear se voet:)

I've been reflecting on our time together this last Saturday, decorating and clothing teddy bears. I started thinking about Build-a-bear. For those of you who don't know about it, Build-a-bear makes teddy bears, gives it a heart(literally) and then you can custom make it, with all sorts of accessories which costs a fortune. Lovely idea but costs the earth. So we kind of did a build-a-bear thing this last Saturday. Only difference is, some of the little ones, put THEIR hearts into it, to such an extent, that it was pretty sad for them to say goodbye to their bears. Some tears were shed. They put THEIR creativity, THEIR ribbons and buttons and masks, THEIR time, THEIR ideas into it. It came at a cost. This time, we didn't give away used toys. Toys they've gotten bored of. They didn't give away used clothes, clothes they've grown out of. They didn't give away tinned food, food their mommies bought. They gave away something of themselves. It was sacrificial, compassionate and kind...but it was hard. I think for the first time, we got it. All of us. We gave of ourselves. We had to dig a little deeper. I'm not calling myself to ascetism. I'm not wanting to put my children through trauma for the sake of making a point on serving the poor. I'm calling us all to think about our giving. Am I doing this Kids for Justice as another tick in the box of a fun activity, which has a spin-off of giving to the poor? Am I giving away my kids clothes, because it clutters up my space and has reached its usefulness in their lives? Or am i giving something away because, it's good quality, even new, still useful to me, but i don't need it as much? I'm speaking of myself here. my reflections. I'm also not discrediting the things we have given away, but rather re-examinng the motives and reasons behind it. Am I putting my HEART into it? Maurietta Stewart(still learning)

No comments:

Post a Comment